Hemorrhoids Treatment / Piles Surgery
Hemorrhoids or piles are found in the anal canal and lower rectum as vascular structures. They assist with stool control in their normal state however when swollen of inflamed, they cause rectal bleeding while defecating, pain and discomfort in the area.
Hemorrhoids are classified as Internal and External Hemorrhoids.
- Internal Hemorrhoids – Internal hemorrhoids are usually painless, but patients may experience rectal bleeding while passing stool.
- External Hemorrhoids – Patients suffering from external hemorrhoids experience pain, swelling and at times bleeding around the anus. These are located under the skin around the anus.
Symptoms of Hemorrhoids or Piles –
- Bleeding (bright red) during defecation.
- Pruritus ani (itching).
- Mass per rectum felt at ablution.
- Pain and Inflammation.
Causes of Hemorrhoids or Piles –
- Low fiber diet.
- Obesity or weight gain during pregnancy.
- Chronic Diarrhea or Constipation.
- Straining during passing stool or sitting on the toilet for longer periods to pass stool.
Diagnosis of Hemorrhoids or Piles –
- Examination – An examination of the anal canal and the rectum can be done to check for hemorrhoids simply by looking at the affected area for external hemorrhoids. For internal hemorrhoids, the doctor may insert a gloved and lubricated finger into the rectum to feel unusual growth.
- Visual diagnosis techniques – An internal diagnosis can be done using an Anoscope, Proctoscope or Sigmoidoscope to detect unusual growth on the inner lower part of the rectum and the colon.
Treatment of Hemorrhoids or Piles –
- Topical and Drug therapies – Topical creams and drugs may be prescribed by the doctor to help curb pain or discomfort issues in the initial stages of hemorrhoid formation.
- Stapled Hemorrhoidepexy – Stapled hemorrhoidectomy or minimally invasive procedure for hemorrhoids (MIPH) is performed to remove abnormally large hemorrhoids. This procedure brings about faster healing, lesser pain and early resumption of daily routine compared to open removal of hemorrhoids performed in earlier days.
Dr. Nikhil Agnihotri, expert Laparoscopic Surgeon provides Hemorrhoid Treatment and Piles surgery in New Delhi, India. Contact us to know more about treatment and cost.