Inflammatory Bowel Disease Treatment in New Delhi
Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) is a condition that affects the small and large intestines. It is considered as an autoimmune disease wherein the body’s own immune system attacks the elements in the patient’s digestive system.
There are two principle kinds of small and large bowel diseases –
- Crohn’s Disease – Crohn’s disease affects any portion of the gastrointestinal tract (from the mouth to the anus). It affects the transmural lesions (the bowel wall) in it’s complete thickness.
- Ulcerative Colitis – Ulcerative Colitis is the inflammation and ulceration of the rectum and the colon. It affects the gut’s epithelial lining (mucosa).
Symptoms of Small and Large Bowel Disease –
- Abdominal Pain.
- Diarrhea, sometimes mixed with blood.
- Fever, Weight loss and Anemia.
- Rashes on the skin.
- Arthritis and Fatigue.
- Eye Inflammation.
- Liver conditions.
- Deep Vein Thrombosis.
Causes of Small and Large Bowel Disease –
- Environmental factors that lead to inflammation in the intestine.
- Intestinal microbiota - The composition of intestinal microbiota plays an important role in the development of the small and large intestinal disease. Changes in the composition bring about an uncontrolled immune response that damages the epithelial lining of the intestine.
- Genetic factors that lead to ulceration and inflammation of the intestine.
- A high protein diet that consists mainly of animal protein may lead to small and large bowel diseases.
Diagnosis of Small and Large Bowel Diseases –
- Colonoscopy – A colonoscopy is used to detect bowel diseases in the entire colon and a part of the small intestine. It is performed with the help of a thin and flexible tube that has a small camera connected at the end that allows the doctor to screen, capture pictures or videos and take samples (biopsies) of the inner lining of the large intestine.
- Stool Sample – Stool samples can be taken to diagnose the condition. Presence of blood cells and bacteria that cause small or large bowel diseases can help confirm the condition.
- Blood tests – Blood tests may be prescribed to confirm anemia which is one of the major symptoms of small and large bowel diseases.
- Imaging techniques – X-rays and CT scans of the abdominal area can help detect complications caused by the presence of small or large bowel diseases.
Treatment of Small and Large Bowel Disease –
- Medication therapy – Medications and supplements can be prescribed to treat the condition.
- Proctocolectomy with ileal pouch anal anastomosis – This surgery is performed to remove the rectum and complete or a part of the colon. This procedure is usually performed for treatment of patients suffering from severe ulcerative colitis.
- Ileostomy – Ileostomy is a surgical procedure that creates an opening on the surface of the skin by bringing the small intestine loop (also known as the ileum) out onto the surface to which a pouching system is connected. This allows the intestinal waste to pass through the loop and get collected in the external pouch.
- Emergency surgery may have to be performed for various complications such as stricture, obstruction, Fistulas etc.
Dr. Nikhil Agnihotri, expert Laparoscopic Surgeon provides Inflammatory Bowel Disease Treatment and Ulcerative Colitis treatment in Delhi, India. Contact us to know more about treatment and cost.