Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease or GERD Treatment in New Delhi
Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) is a medical condition wherein the stomach acid or bile keeps coming upwards into the esophagus in the form of acid refluxes. When we swallow food, the lower esophageal sphincter relaxes to allow food to enter the stomach but when this esophageal sphincter weakens or functions abnormally, it can allow the stomach acids to re-enter the esophagus.
Symptoms of Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease –
- Taste of acid on the back side of the mouth.
- Breathing issues.
- Sore throat.
- Chest pain.
- Bad breath.
- Nausea and Vomiting.
- Injury of the esophagus.
Causes of Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease -
- Frequent Heartburn.
- Frequent acid reflux.
- Smoking and consumption of alcohol.
Diagnosis of Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease -
- Barium swallow – This process involves drinking a liquid that coats the inner lining of the digestive tract. While the liquid follows the tract, an X-Ray of the upper digestive system is taken. The images help diagnose abnormalities of the esophagus and the digestive tract.
- Endoscopy – An endoscopy is carried out to examine the inside of the esophagus with the help of a tiny camera that’s connected at the end of a thin and flexible tube.
- Esophageal motility testing – Also known as Manometry, this method of diagnosis helps measure the movement of the esophagus. This process involves inserting a thin catherter into the esophagus through the nose.
- 24-hour pH monitoring – 24-hour pH monitoring helps in documenting the number of reflux episodes, duration of reflux and its severity.
Treatment of Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease -
- Medication – Prescribed drugs and antacids can help cure Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease.
- Lifestyle changes – Lifestyle changes are a need of the hour for the ones who suffer from Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease. Patients need to keep their weight under control and consume the prescribed medication.
- Acid Reflux Surgery – Acid Reflux surgery could be needed for the ones who do not notice any substantial improvement in the condition after consuming prescribed medication and making necessary lifestyle changes. It involves recreation of valve at lower esophageal sphincter complex. Patients need to relearn proper chewing and swallowing after the procedure and follow a prescribed diet chart.
- Surgery for Morbid Obesity – Patients who are morbidly obese and suffer from Gastroesophageal reflux disease need to undergo Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass to achieve weight loss as well as to bring about complete treatment of reflux rather than anti-reflux procedure.
Dr. Nikhil Agnihotri, expert Laparoscopic Surgeon provides Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease Treatment and Acid Reflux Surgery in Delhi, India. Contact us to know more about treatment and cost.